Sunday, January 6, 2013

A Prayer for the New Year


God, in this year…

Help me to create margin in my life, so that I have silence in which to hear You, and space for You to move in. 

Let me remember that You have transferred me into Your Kingdom and that is where I now live, not someday, but now. Help me to value the things that You value, and to see things with Your eyes.

I pray that I will find purpose and significance in the things You have called me to do, especially when I’m feeling that these things are boring, mundane, or trivial.

I pray for contentment: that You will continue to transform me, changing my word from “want” to “thanks”.  

I pray for holiness: that the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart will be acceptable in Your sight.

I pray that you will help me to parent with kindness and wisdom. Help me to speak grace and truth into the lives of my children. Help me to rely on You moment by moment in this task of parenting, and to remember that though I often mess up, You never do, and You will work even through my weaknesses. I trust You with my children. 

I pray for patience: that I will dare to accept this present moment as THE moment, and live there, instead of continually yearning to get to something better.

I thank You for the community of people that You have placed around me. I acknowledge that I need their encouragement, love, and insight in my life. Help me to humbly and graciously receive it. Help me to invest in this community, and give myself sacrificially, and vulnerably in love to them.

I pray for humility. That as Your Holy Spirit works in me and through me, I won’t puff up with pride as if I had done it. But that I will give You the glory that is due to You. Help me to be able to encourage others with what You’ve done, without stealing Your glory for myself.

Lastly, I pray that you will help me to enjoy... not just get through… but enjoy my days, my children, my husband, my friends, my food, the weather, etc… all Your good gifts.

I love you God. I thank You ahead of time for accomplishing Your good work in me this year.  Amen.

4 comments:

Speaky1013 said...

Carolyn, thank you for writing this beautiful prayer! Man, you are so articulate and thoughtful - you need to write a book!!

I miss you guys and can't believe you have three kids!! May God continue to bless, encourage, and strengthen you and Greg!

Love,
Mandi Speakman

Nancy said...

Carolyn, You make my heart sing. "I have no greater joy than this, to hear of my children walking in the truth" (3 John 4)Love, Mom
PS I agree with Mandi and Miss Teague....you are a great writer.

Wanda said...

You really are Carolyn.I can think them & sometimes verbalize what I mean but never write them. I get to detailed & rabbit trailed.
Love your prayer & may it be for you. Our God is Great!

kristal said...

so beautiful. so full of truth. so full of what spurs me on in love. thank you, carolyn.