Friday, September 19, 2008

Update

Well, I just thought that after that terribly sad post I should give a little update.... For the last few days we've been trying a new eating routine... we feed Elisa solids, nurse her, and then offer her soy formula. And guess what? She's been sucking down the formula! I guess that she hasn't been getting enough milk, and most of the time I didn't even suspect that she was still hungry!

There had been a few times when I thought that she was still hungry after nursing... but she wouldn't eat any more solid food, so I figured she wasn't that hungry. And most of the time she seemed perfectly content. Even now, she'll get done nursing and want to get down and play, and I think to myself, "Oh, she's not hungry, she's not going to drink any formula." And then she'll amaze me by drinking 6 oz! Wow.

Of course I have mixed feelings about it. Mostly I just feel so relieved and glad that she's getting enough calories now. But I also feel a ton of other emotions: fear (what if her slow weight gain has long term effects?), inadequacy (why can't I produce enough milk?), guilt (I should have known), and the list goes on.

So, anyway... that's the update. Thanks for your comments, phone calls, and prayers. I really doubt that there's anything seriously wrong with her. I think that she was just not getting enough milk. Hopefully it will just be a matter of time until she's chubby as can be. I'm not sure when I hear back about the blood and urine tests... but I'm not concerned about it. I think that just this simple change in diet will fix it!

2 comments:

wamaboo said...

All that guilt continues for life, it's called parenting.
Would a,should a,could a,
all in all children survive
and still love us.
Elisa is so blessed to have you two for loving parents.

Cathy said...

I'm with Wanda! Keep up the good work!