Sunday, November 30, 2008

First Sunday of Advent

Today we got out the boxes of Christmas decorations. I've tried to keep our Christmas stuff at a minimum. We have just 3 boxes including all our christmas lights, ornaments, mugs, cds, books etc. But we still have room for a "skiing Santa" that Greg's gramma gave us a few years ago. When I got it out of the box I was curious to see how Elisa would respond to it. Not to compare my child to a dog, but in my experience dogs usually hate it. So I thought Elisa might respond with the same fear/suspicion. But she LOVED it. First Santa says, "There's a cold wind blowing in from the North Pole, I better hold onto my hat." Then he starts moving along the ground and singing. It is pretty funny. When Santa started talking Elisa smiled really big, then when he started skiing she chased him down... but she wasn't sure what to do with him then. Anyway, maybe I'll take a video one of these days. No promises!

So, like I mentioned in the title, today is the First Sunday of Advent. I love the Advent Season. I love the traditions and I love taking time to slow down and think about Christ's birth. Tonight before bed we read the Christmas story to Elisa; she listened contentedly while sucking on her toothbrush (she loves that toothbrush!)
Now that I have a baby I can't help but ponder - Jesus as a baby... what a wonder... God as a helpless infant. I can't believe that God loves us so much that he became like us. He didn't just become a full-grown man who was strong and god-like... he came as a baby. He grew up just like us. He went through the human experience with all its ups and downs. He went through puberty! He experienced grief, anger, and joy.
It says in Philippians, Christ existed in the form of God, but did not regard equality with God a thing to be grasped. Instead, he emptied himself and took the form of a bond-servant and was made in the likeness of men (Philippians 2:6-7). And since he was made like us, he understands us... he's able to sympathize with our weaknesses (Hebrews 4:14-15). That's what I need... a God who can understand my weaknesses.
Thank you Lord Jesus, for coming as a baby.
"But the angel said to them, 'Do not be afraid; for behold, I bring you good news of great joy which will be for all the people; for today in the city of David there has been born for you a Savior, who is Christ the Lord. This will be a sign for you: you will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger.' And suddenly there appeared with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God and saying, 'Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace among men with whom He is pleased.'"

3 comments:

wamaboo said...

Amen, Thank you Thank you Jesus.

Skiing Santa, wait to you get here, we have Penquins.

Anonymous said...

The pictures of Elisa bring back memories of you and John having that same look of awe and wonder when the Christmas lights came out.
Mom

Cathy said...

Hapy Birthday, Elisa!